Ethical Dilemmas in Pediatric Dentistry
As specialists, we’re positioned in our profession as the experts. We learn advanced technical skills, study the literature in depth, and get exposed to more variations . . . and position ourselves as a resource – for what’s uncommon for – GPs, pediatricians, and parents.
BUT. Practice – deals with personalities. Being a doctor – means learning skills – beyond what your hands deliver.
Throughout our careers, we will be confronted with human situations – where the answers are not in textbooks or about getting grades or about “Guidelines” or “Best Practices”. This course is not about preaching . . . what’s right or wrong.
This course is interactive. We will be presenting a series of videos, of dilemmas imposed on us – in everyday practice. In round table discussions, participants will share – “How would I handle this one?” “How do we work through this one?”
A systematic approach for decision-making: weighing options, identifying tradeoffs, and recognizing real life, downstream implications of one’s actions – will be moderated by seasoned members of CSPD, WSPD. There’s more to pedo – than stainless steel crowns, sedation, and space maintainers.
This course is for dentists, residents, dental hygienists, dental assistants, and other team members.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Articulate the human problem before you.
- Dissect multiple textures of the situation
- Weigh the variables, prioritize and make choices on your response.
- Identify and concede known tradeoffs,
- Identify landmines and downstream implications
- Explore opportunities to reach out . . . to begin to find a mentor. To find someone you can confide in – when you feel trapped by a professional issue. To discover the pool of seasoned CSPD/WSPD members – who are a little ahead of the career journey . . . and can be a resource.